The goal of this blog is to help me with the documentation of progress on my quest to install an alternate firmware on the now discontinued Netgear WGR826V.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Backing up firmware!?

Before deleting or modifying the default image I would like to backup the factory image. This task has turned in to a nightmare. BusyBox has being stripped out off any useful command. I can see the different images on the /dev/mtdblock# devices but that is about it.

I have try many things such as:

-NFS: Some of the scripts do mention NFS, but the kernel does not add NFS support, and there are no modules to load.

-HTTPD: binary httpd is hard coded to read from the specified folder and the file system from where the HTML code is loaded is a cramfs mounted read only.

-BusyBox: There are about 10 commands available to the user and none of them seems to be helpful for this task.

-RedBoot: It can load from tftp some code, but I am new to RedBoot… this could be the solution, but I am still learning, maybe someone can guide me on this?

-JTag: This method looks like it is the most likely to succeed but considering the size of the flash, this could take hours? It will be my last thing to try.

So, for now I am a stock, but hopefully I will figure out or maybe someone can make a suggestion?

No comments:

Archive